Sunday, September 5, 2021

Why I'm Boycotting Labor Day Today

Today, I received an email from an old friend:

"How are you doing, Aurelia? Why didn't you reply to my message on Whatsapp?" the message went.

"I'm doing fine, thanks. Long time no see! How's it with you? Uhh... I don't have... Whatsapp?" I replied.

Truth is, I don't even use social media.

Except for my business.

Yeah, I know...

You must think I'm weird.

That's ok. I'm an artist. I'm supposed to be weird. :)

But then the conversation continued:

"It's tough. I'm working my fluffy butt off everyday. Struggling to survive. I envy you. Dumping your job all those years ago to pursue doing stuff you love," she said.

After a few back and forth emails...

... it was clear that...

... unlike what they would have you believe on Labor Day...

... according to my friend...

... labor really isn't something worth celebrating about.

On the contrary. It's downright rough, tough, filthy, uber hard work.

I would much rather celebrate finding something you love doing everyday, so much so that it no longer feels like labor, and so (in the words of Mark Twain) you never have to labor a day in your life.

And so, in spite of all the celebrating about Labor today...

... I'll gladly decline.

And throw it all in the trash!

Because I don't want to be doing labor. And celebrating labor. And taking a day off from the harshness of labor just to celebrate about doing labor for the other 364 days of the year.

I just wanna have fun.

Doing stuff I love and enjoy.

And not having to take a day off from it all.

Because I love and enjoy doing it. Just as much as I love having my enjoyment seep into my masterpieces, and spreading cheer and joy throughout the whole world.

When you love what you do, it shows.

And people can tell when you put out stuff that's made with love and enjoyment...

Sincerely,
Aurelia Nobleia
"Labor-Hating Bunny-Sloth"

P.S. Speaking of having fun, I had a lot of fun today making this new wreath. Ha ha.

It's so different from what I normally create...

But I had a blast making it! LOL.

...

This letter "Why I'm Boycotting Labor Day Today" was first published on turnip.co